Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My dog ate a leaf from an aloe vera plant day before yesterday

My dog ate a leaf from an aloe vera plant day before yesterday and since then has a loss of appetite, is lethargic, doesn't play as usual, is drinking a lot of water, and not having as many bowel movements. We didn't realize it until we saw the broken off leaf. Is it to late to induce vomiting, if that would be the correct thing to do in this case?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 years ago.

Yes, this is too late to induce vomiting. You have to catch it in 2-4 hours to have vomiting be effective. This is not a toxic plant, but it can cause GI irritation and nausea/ vomiting/ diarrhea which it sounds like you're seeing a mild case of. The signs are self limiting in that they will resolve on their own with or without treatment.

What I would do to help with the GI upset is give Pepcid (Famotidine) over the next 3-5 days. The dose is 0.25 mg/lb and you can give it every 12-24 hours.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What is Pepcid (Famotidine) ? I am 70 years and can't get out to the store right now. I have things in the house like pepto bismol, pepcid complete tablets, tums, alka seltzer, and many other types of people medicines.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 years ago.
It's an antacid made for people. Pepcid Complete would be fine- give 0.25 mg of the Famotidine (10 mg per tab) per lb body weight.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She is under 10 lbs. Would that compute to about 2 tablets?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 years ago.
No, that would be 1/4 of a tablet once daily
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your help. I am happy to pay the fee.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome!
Be sure to click accept, thanks!
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)