Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

my dog wont bend her head down any more to drink or eat but

my dog won't bend her head down any more to drink or eat but she will lay down on her head. we have to hold the water and food up to her
Thanks for the question.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

1. This is something you do see now and again and the most likely diagnosis would be some form of neck lesion, perhaps a slipped disk type injury. This can be very painful and will make the neck stiff and your dog very reluctant to bend the neck.

2. The best plan would be to have your vet take a look as soon as you can arrange this as prescription drugs could well reduce the pain and discomfort in the area, and quickly get your dog's neck back to function, however sometimes X-rays or other further diagnosis are needed. In the meantime your should raise your dog's food and water bowl perhaps up on a small table or similar.

3. I am aware that many owners use aspirin on a short term home remedy basis in this sort of situation and report success. Aspirin would be much safer and more effective than the other over the counter human pain killers and this drug is in fact sometimes prescribed for dogs. A typical dose rate would be is 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgment whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to a web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS