Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario
7995545

My dog hit his head pretty hard and on my bed-its wood- and

Customer Question

My dog hit his head pretty hard and on my bed-it's wood- and it sounded like cracking an egg. He always bumps his head, but this was pretty hard. He cried out. I'm watching him now and he's eating, but how can I be sure that there's nothing wrong without spending a lot at the vets office? He's 14 years old and already a bit wobbly on his hind legs, so, without spending too much and without panicking, how can I tell?
Thanks!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer!

I would like to help you and your dog with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

Since this happened, has there been any vomiting?

If you call his name, does he look at you?

Do you have a bright flashlight on hand?

Fiona

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No vomiting, and he has selective hearing. But he can responds when I snap my fingers. It's early here and he's going back to sleep which is something he does after he eats. He has cataracts and can really only see shadows, so I don't know how that might help but yes I do.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.
Ok - can you please check the size of his pupils (the black part at the centre of his eyes).

Are they the same size?

If you shine a bright flashlight into them from 1 or 2 inches away, do they get smaller?

Do you see any blood in his ears?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
His eyes are all grey. No reaction when I shine the light in his eyes, no blood in his ears. Right now he's sleeping-if I quit messing with him anyway- and breathing normally...I don't want to press on his head or anything, but I have to work today and I live alone, so I'm trying to see if I need to call in. I'm just worried.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.
Ok, this all sounds good.

If his breathing rate is normal (less than 40 breaths per minute when sleeping) and his behaviour is normal, then I am not concerned about your little guy.

I have met many dogs with head trauma - from a road traffic accident, or from being hit by a baseball, or by a bat, or even a bean-bag gun. However, in my 16 yrs of practice, I have never met even one dog or cat who did serious damage to themselves by hitting a table of chair or other object. Fortunately, the skull is very strong, and the worst I have ever seen has been a tender bump for 1 - 2 days.

Since your boy is not vomiting, has no blood in his ears, and is resting comfortably, I feel it is very likely that he is completely fine!

I hope that this helps you to not worry about your senior dog.

If this has been helpful, please "Accept" my answer and provide feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will try to provide it!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Fiona

Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You are AMAZING and thank you so SO much for calming me down. Now I don't have to panic! He's hit his head a lot since he lost his sight, but this one was just really hard and he's never cried out like that and I was worried, but you calmed me down and I can't thank you enough!
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.
You are so very welcome!

Chava is lucky to have you around!

You can use scent to help Chava to know where things are - for example, put a Glade solid at the top and the bottom of the stairs in order to let him know that there is danger there. He will quickly learn that if he comes close to a Glade solid, it means there are stairs nearby!

You could rub a dryer sheet down the legs of your bed and the tables, so he can smell where they are.

Use bells on the door so that he can find it easily, he can use his nose and ears to help him get around.

Here is a link to more information on how to cope with a dog without vision:

http://www.eyevet.info/blind.html

Best wishes!
Fiona
PS YOU DO NOT NEED TO HIT ACCEPT AGAIN OR YOU WILL BE CHARGED AGAIN!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks! He's my spoiled baby. He responds to words: stop, turn around, back, scooch up, and uses the wall as a guide. And when he really wants to be a brat he whines and I cave and carry him. Thank you for the website I'll look into it.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.
He sounds like a pretty smart little guy! ;-)

I hope you are both having a much better day than it started out to be!
Fiona
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My nerves are calm and he's being annoying, so everything is fine! Laughing Thank you again.