David Janssen
David Janssen,
Experience:  Veterinarian, owner at West Side Veterinary Clinic
15552883

My dog is acting very strange. He seems spooked really easily

My dog is acting very strange. He seems spooked really easily but keeps wagging his tail and running around like mad. He seems panicked but playful and very restless. He had a long walk today so maybe he found something and ate it? It is out of character for him to act like this. He is a Staffy 1 year and 2 months old with up to date jabs

He is clearly tired out after his walk but can't settle. His nose is wet, he keeps biting his paw and licking around it, I stop him from biting as he could hurt himself..

Hello, and thanks for writing in.

These symptoms are certainly not normal, but are not specific for an exact problem. It could have been something he ate that is making him act this way (like you said). Sometimes another animal can spook them making them act this way. Or sometimes loud noises, bright lights, or other stimulus can cause behaviors like this. I would watch him closely, and if the symptoms continue for about the next hour, I would recommend trying to have him seen by a veterinarian. They may need to give him something to try and calm him down. You can also try giving a dose of Benadryl (1mg per pound of body weight) to try and calm him down (if he's not on any other medication, and if he doesn't have any other health problems).

I hope this helps.

Dr. Dave

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is no stimulus in the house, low lights, no TV no noise, just calmness. Would you tell me what Benadryl is? Do you think it would be Ok to wait till morning as it is Late evening here. He has no other problems nor does he have any other medication.
Do you think it could be an allergy as he did jump in the lake today which he hasn't done before? Sensitive skin or something? I know you can't commit to one specific answer but some possibilities would be much appreciated

Heidi

Thanks for your reply.

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is an antihistamine that can have a calming or relaxing effect on dogs.

You're right, I can't commit to an exact reason, and as I mentioned above, it could be different things, such as a stimulus of some sort (although it doesn't sound like that is the case from your last reply), eating something he shouldn't have, some type of irritation (about anything). An allergy is possible, but usually doesn't cause this type of behavior (unless it is a true allergic reaction, as some dogs will act agitated in this situation).

You can likely wait until morning if your dog's symptoms do not worsen, but I would recommend getting him checked out first thing in the morning.

I hope this is helpful.

Dr. Dave