Dr. P
Dr. P, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years small animal private practice & emergency.

how to clean and care for a neck wound cause by a bark collar

how to clean and care for a neck wound cause by a bark collar? we think the battery case broke.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. P replied 6 years ago.
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

Can you describe to me what the wound looks like?

Is there any foul odor?

Thank you!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is a oder.... like it is infected (funky smell)
the hair is matted and the looks irritated but no blood.
There was puss on the gauze.
Expert:  Dr. P replied 6 years ago.
Ok, then here is what I would recommend until you can get to your vet.

If you have electric clippers, then try to shave off as much of the matted hair as possible. The gunky hair just traps infection in. Don't use scissors. You will end up cutting your dog and have an even bigger problem.

Use a washcloth with warm water and soak that wound as best as you can, trying to get off as much of the crust and pus possible. The only soap I'd say to use is a little Dawn dish detergent. Don't use anything else.

You should do the soakings with the water 3 times a day. Try to soak for at least 5 minutes. You can apply a little neosporin if you have any. You can continue to try to cover with a gauze if that works. If not, you can cut up an old turtleneck and put that over the wound. I don't want him to be scratching at it.

With the odor, it is important that he get on some oral antibiotics. If your vet is opened today then it would be best to try to get an appointment. If not, then make sure you get one Monday.
Make sure he continues to act normally otherwise (eating, drinking, pooping and peeing)

Feel free to reply.

Dr. P