Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

dog: vestibular Disease..Her to go out and poop and pee, any ideas

Customer Question

I have a dog with Vestibular Disease ,Im having trouble getting Her to go out and poop and pee, any ideas?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 years ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. Sorry Anya is having these problems. When they are having this issue, it is very hard to deal with the urination and defecation. Trying to walk them outside is difficult because they cannot keep their balance and end up flopping around anyway. You can try using a towel as a sling to support the front end under the armpits and one to support just in front of the back legs, but it still may be difficult due to increased anxiety. Most pet owners have put them on multiple layers of towels to let them mess on, then cleaning them up when they are finished. Some have put diapers on them. Either way, you have to make sure to wash the urine and feces off them daily to keep from getting skin sores. If she is not on meclizine, I would highly recommend getting her on this. You find it over the counter. Usually 40-75mg twice a day for a 75lb dog will work. It may take 2 weeks to make a full recover, but a permanent head tilt may be noted. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/vestibular-disease-in-dogs/page1.aspx