Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

What is the correct dosage of furosemide (Lasix) for a dog

Customer Question

What is the correct dosage of furosemide (Lasix) for a dog with dilated cardiomyopthay @ 65 lbs? Also, how many times/days should it be administered?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 years ago.

We usually dose it at 1-2 mg/kg/day (0.5-1 mg/lb per day). I'd probably start your dog on 12.5 or 25 mg twice daily depending on how severe the pulmonary edema (fluid in the lungs) was. If the dog was just coughing and there was no fluid, then I'd go lower. If it was a difficult case of CHF (congestive heart failure) then I'd go higher.

Typically I'll put these guys on Enalapril (or Benazepril), Vetmedin and Lasix daily. Once starting, I have them on all three life long. I would not use Lasix as a "when needed" medication. I'd have him on it every day.

My advice would be to go with 25 mg twice daily until the resting (or sleeping) respiratory rate is < 40 breaths per minute. Once it's ~ 20 breaths per minute then I'd back down to 12.5 mg three times daily then 12.5 mg twice daily then once daily if possible. Basically I would go with the lowest effective dose.

We can go up higher on the dose as well- if 25 mg twice daily is not doing it, then go up to 50 mg twice daily until signs are resolving.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My vet dosen't see any fluid in the lungs. However, he still breaths heavy at night time. It's to the point where he breaths with his mouth open. He is obviousy uncomfortable. He cannot sit still. He also puts his chin on me like he's saying, "mommy this stinks." I can also hear some time of fluid/wheezing when he breaths too. I don't understand how this can be happening if he doesn't have fluid in his lungs yet. I've given him the lasix three days in a row and he started the heavy breathing again tonight.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like we need to go higher on the Lasix dose. If no improvement, then I'd re-check x-rays of the lungs or even consider seeing a cardiologist to do an echo (ultrasound of the heart) if that has not been done yet.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you very much for all your help. I greatly appreciate it.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 years ago.
You're welcome, best of luck.