Dr. Beall
Dr. Beall, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Dog & Cat Veterinarian for 10 years, Own/Operate Exclusive Small Animal Practice.

When does milk come in after whelping in a dog?

When does a canine's milk come in after whelping?

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Beall replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer,

Thanks for your question concerning Nestle. Wow, that is a huge litter of puppies. I need some additional information to help out.

1) Is this her first litter of puppies, or has she whelped before?

2) Are her breasts/nipples enlarged at all?

3) How are the puppies acting? Are they acting content or are they crying excessively, because they are not getting enough to eat?

4) Is Nestle acting ok? What food is she currently eating?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Nestle is eating Eukanuba puppy dry and canned with cottage cheese. Her nipples are enlarged and if you squeeze a little, you can see a small amount of milk. She just does not seem to be bagging up as I remember her to be as she did last time. She had a litter 2 years ago. The pups seem to be ok, with in normal range. I have one very small runt and I am supplementing him to help. Today he seemed like he was a little weak but the others are strong. I do rotate the pups to be fair to all. I think Nestle should be bigger. I think the pups could have more from their feedings. They had their dew claws removed today and the vet stated they all looked good. I think also Nestle is more tired out. I think having 15 pups took a lot out of her. I am really into proper nutrition and I am feeding her 4 times daily. She may not eat all of what I give her in one feeding (not over doing it though) I was wondering if milk production generally comes in around 3 days or so? I should know this by

Expert:  Dr. Beall replied 6 years ago.

Great, and thanks for the additional information! Sounds like you are really on top of things and doing a great job!

You are correct that her milk should really start coming in more in the next day or two. Obviously feeding 15 puppies is a huge demand on her system, especially that she is a little older now. Keep up the good nutrition as this is going to take a tremendous amount of calories to produce all this milk for these pups.

If the puppies were more dis-satisfied, then I would be concerned. Certainly, your veterinarian could give her a shot of oxytocin to help with milk let down, but she should be getting plenty of stimulus with all the puppies. Unless the puppies are acting extremely hungry and her milk is not coming in, I would let nature do it's thing. Her milk should really come in the next 24-36 hours.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your input! You mentioned Oxytocin, should I give this to her tomorrow if she still does not seem to bagging up more?
Expert:  Dr. Beall replied 6 years ago.

Only if the puppies are acting hungry and uncomfortable.

Good luck!