DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med

can I give a dog adult anti nausea medication

can I give a dog adult anti nausea medication?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 4 years ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question.

Dogs can be given kaopectate or pepto-bismol for nausea. I can give you doses but I'd like to know what is going on with your dog first? Thanks

Dr. Melissa
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She is otherwise healthy - she is peeing and pooping and has done so two time in the last 24 hours. I think she ate some food from my kids and she is very sensitve to food other than her own dog food - she has been vomiting since she ate.

She is on no other medication and is otherwise fine.

What would be the dose?

The only other thing I feed her is vanilla yogurt occasionally to feed her healthy probiotics...

Expert:  DrMelJ replied 4 years ago.
Ok Thanks for the additional info.

I would recommend feeding her smaller meals (of her regular food) for the next day or so....to give her GI tract some time to recover. Make sure she is drinking plenty. Probiotics (yogurt) is great.

I would recommend using some Pepto-Bismol. Make sure it is regular strength Pepto with no other added medications. Pepto dose for dogs is 1 ml per 10 lbs body weight every 8-10 hours. if you want to use kaopectate the dose is 1 mg/lb body weight every 8 hours. Do not use both. They both contain salicylates (aspirin) and combing too much of this can cause GI damage and kidney damage.

if the signs and symptoms do not resolve within 24 hours or if the dog is getting worse or gets a fever (temp > 102 F) then she needs to see a vet.

I hope this has been helpful and I hope she feels better soon.

Sincerely
Dr. Melissa
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can you use promathezine (anti nausea pills) for dogs though? I'm not sure she'll keep the Pepto down and I know for me the promathezine like dramamine or something like that is way more effective...?

Is that safe to give and if so what is the dose?

Expert:  DrMelJ replied 4 years ago.
Hi there. Promathezine is an antihistamine and used for motion sickness, it would not help with nausea from food ingestion/garbage gut. Besides that it can be quite toxic to dogs. I would not recommend using it.

Other more effective meds most be given by a vet.
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience: graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med