Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My female dog is in heat and bleeding very heavy. She keeps

My female dog is in heat and bleeding very heavy. She keeps dragging her butt on the ground, which makes her bleed even more. When we took her outside today to go to the bathroom ( she was panting very heavy) she would squat down to pee, but only blood was coming out. Do I need to be concerned for in prior heats this has never happened? She is 5 yrs. old, and a yellow lab.
Hi JACustomer,
I am sorry to hear about Sadie. I am concerned by what you are telling me. It is hard to say without being able to see and examine her, but she could have a bladder infection, or even a uterine infection. Another possibility is impaction or infection of the anal glands.

It is possible some of the blood that is coming out is coming from the bladder, which would most likely be due to a bladder infection. This would make her very uncomfortable, and could spread up into her kidneys. A course of antibiotics might be all she needs, if this is the case.

However an infection in the uterus can a be serious, even life threatening, problem in female dogs. I would get her checked by your vet as soon as you can.

Hope this helps, Rebecca