Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

my chihuahuas skin has been turning a purple/black color since

my chihuahua's skin has been turning a purple/black color since sunday. i think she's sleeping a little more than usual and her stool isn't normal. if you have any advice or some holistic suggestions, i'm a little desperate.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Do the purple/black areas look like a bruise? What color are her gums? Please explain what her stool looks like?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The colored areas is one continuous area on her legs and it's spreading to her stomach. The skin on her head also turned black.
Her gums are a pinkish purple color.
Her urine is very yellow and her poop is small little bits
Thanks for the information. I am very concerned that what you are seeing is bruising. If this is the case, she may have a very serious clotting disorder. It can be a problem with her platelets, coagulation factors (made in the liver) or liver problems. Unless she has underlying liver problems, an immune mediated thrombocytopenia (body's immune system destroys its own platelets) or rat poison ingestion are the most common causes. The only other explanation would be typical skin pigment change as they age or chronic skin trauma (usually from chronic scratching). I wouldn't expect either of these to have a purplish color to it, though. It wouldn't spread very fast either. With the discoloration spreading like it is, bruising would be most likely. I would highly recommend bringing her in to see a vet as soon as possible. If it is a bleeding disorder, it can be deadly and should be dealt with tonight. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i don't know if there are any vets available here at this hour. i think she may have a fever as well. is there anything I can do tonight to keep her comfortable until i can take her to the vet in the morning?
I would not recommend giving her anything. If she has a platelet problem, giving her something like aspirin will only make it worse. I would just keep her in a comfortable, warm area. Try to get her to drink some water and see if she will eat anything. Then get her to your vet first thing in the morning. If the condition is what I think it is, the sooner treatment is started, the better. Hope this helps.