Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog has a swollen eyelid. What should I do?

My dog has a swollen upper eyelid. The eye itself is not red and she doesn't wince when I touch it. She has rubbed her paw on it a little. Other than the eyelid she seems normal...ate all her food and continued with our normal routine. She was fine when I left this morning and my husband said he didn't notice anything at lunch, but when we got home from work at five it was swollen. I am assuming she bumped into something (i.e. table or corner). Should I go see the vet in the morning? Thanks for your help - Leslie
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 years ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. Is it just one eye that is swollen? Any hairloss or redness around the swelling?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, the right eyelid. There's no hairloss and no redness, no leaking fluids. She's got dark eyelids and it's just a lighter shade and puffy.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the information. If the swelling came about suddenly, she either bumped into something or is having an allergic reaction (most of the times to an insect bite or sting). An allergic reaction usually shows up around both eyes but not always. An infection would gradually swell, unless she was bitten there. I would continue putting an ice pack over it. If the swelling is not down by tomorrow, then bring her into your vet. If the swelling gets larger or spreads tonight, have her seen by your nearest emergency vet. You can even try giving her some benedryl (1mg per pound of body weight) in case it is an allergic reaction. It is safe to give dogs. You just have to use caution with potential liver or heart problems.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.