Critical Care Vet
Critical Care Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency & Critical Care Specialist
28975648

my dog is arching his back as though he has cramps and seems

Customer Question

my dog is arching his back as though he has cramps and seems a little dehydrated but is still taking water. Is this just a tummy ache?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Critical Care Vet replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for you post. Arching of the back can be a sign of abdominal or back pain in dogs. Is linus eating/drinking or having any vomiting or diarrhea. Those signs would suggest gastrointesintal signs and abdominal discomfort. Is Linus having any difficulty walking or hesitant to going up stairs or jump on/off couch. Those signs would suggest back pain.

If Linus continues doing this I recommend having him examined by your veterinarian.

Hope this helps. I am available for any additional follow up questions. Don't forget to click accept.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have touched him all over and pressed on his back and legs with no visible reaction. His tummy is flat with no signs of bloat (he's a dane) but is firm. Every so often he has a loud "explosion" of gas but it doesn't smell particularly bad. He did take some water but refused a favorite treat and won't lay down, just keeps pacing.

When you explain a loud explosion of gas to you mean that he is passing gas rectally, or he is burping?

One of the classic signs of bloat is burping and retching without actually bringing any thing up. Linus will almost look as if he is vomiting but again not bring anything up.

The pacing may also be a sign of pain. Again if he continues this he should be examined. It may be a good idea to go to an emergency clinic this evening to have him checked out.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The gas is rectal and the look on his face says he is not feeling well at all. Can I give him anything to see if his tummy ache will go away? I know all of the foods to give if there is diareaha involved but that is not it. Can I give him pepto to see if that helps incase he has just eaten something that disagreed with him? We are several hours from the nearest emergency clinic.

Not sure what medication will help him as I do not know whats wrong with him without examining him.

I typically do not give pepto to dogs. But you can try some Pepcid AC. He can take 10mg twice daily.

Again if he continues to be restless and acting painful then he should be checked out.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If he gets worse tonight or is not better by morning he will definitely be going but I would definitely like to make him more comfortable now if possible. I'll try the pepcid. Thanks for your help.