Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

can dogs take zyrtec for allergies or paw chewing

can dogs take zyrtec for allergies or paw chewing?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 6 years ago.
Hi there,

Yes, dogs can take Zyrtec. It's not commonly used in dogs, because it hasn't been studied for use in dogs and it's not very effective for relief of itchy skin. Benadryl (regular, not Cold or Sinus) is probably better, although many dogs don't respond completely. Please keep in mind that paw chewing is frequently due to an infection between the toes caused by an underlying allergy. So, the infection has to be treated in conjunction with medication for itch relief, otherwise, no medication to relieve itchy skin will be effective (b/c infection contributes significantly to the itching).

I would visit your vet, so that Elliott's paws could be examined for infection and treated if necessary. For now, before you can get into your vet's office, I would give him regular Benadryl at a dose equal to 1mg per 1lb (for example, if Elliot is 25lbs he should get 25mg of Benadryl, 2-3 times daily).

Hope this helps; please let me know if you have any other questions and best of luck!