Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

my puppy (12 weeks old)has a creamy yellow substance coming

Customer Question

my puppy (12 weeks old)has a creamy yellow substance coming from her vulva and also noticed her having to urinate with minimal pee coming out.is it an infection of some sort?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 7 years ago.
Your puppy likely has "puppy vaginitis" in which there is a cream or sometimes greenish discharge from the vulva. Sometimes we will treat the condition with antibiotics, particularly if the puppy is licking a lot or seems irritated by the discharge.

Urinary tract infections don't generally causea colored discharge, but the vaginitis could be causing her enough irritation that she is straining to urinate, but doesn't have much urine to come out.

I would clean her vulva with a moistened wash cloth or baby wipe over the weekend. If the discharge continues and she is having urination problems on Monday, then I would take her to your regular vet for an exam. Your vet will likely try to get a sterile urine sample (by sticking a needle directly into the bladder through the skin) to see if the infection is in the bladder or from the vulva.

Here is a website you might find useful: http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2446

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. Is there anything homeopathic or over-the-counter we could give her for some releif today?
Lots of water to help flush stuff out of her bladder and vulva, wipe her off with a baby wipe frequently. Otherwise I can't think of anything else.