Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog wont stop vomiting. Hes been vomiting since Sunday.

Customer Question

My dog won't stop vomiting. He's been vomiting since Sunday. I took him to his vet first thing Monday morning and he prescribed Reglan. That worked for a day, but he went right back to vomiting. I don't know what to do and I'm worried to death.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 years ago.

If he's been vomiting this long, then you need abdominal x-rays +/- bloodwork to get to the bottom of this. My guess is that it's either a foreign body obstruction or pancreatitis. If a foreign body obstruction (seen on x-rays) then surgical removal is needed. If pancreatitis (diagnosed with bloodwork) then IV fluids to rehydrate and IV antibiotics will usually resolve it over 2-3 days.

I would go to an ER vet where they can get you the diagnosis tonight and get him either to surgery or started on fluids.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What is pancreatitis?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 years ago.
It's an infectious/ inflammatory disease of the pancreas gland. It's usually preceded by a high fat meal. The signs are vomiting, abdominal pain and decreased appetite. The diagnosis is made by checking a blood Lipase and finding an elevated value.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Thanks. His vet is on vacation and I was hoping the Reglan and other drugs he prescribed would begin to have some effect. Tucker's asleep right now (thank God) so I'll take him to see one of the other vets tomorrow.

Thanks for your advice. At least now I have some clue as to what might be wrong and they both sound treatable. I cannot imagine something devastating happening to my baby. He means the world to me.

Good night.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 years ago.
If it was just a GI infection, then the meds would help but it sounds more serious than that given the longevity.

Good luck tomorrow.
Be sure to click accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thanks.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the positive feedback, Dr. Gary. Thought I'd give you an update:

Took Tuck to the vet's this morning. They did x-rays and there was no evidence of blockage or pancreatitis. Just bubbles of gas.

They did blood screening for pancreatitis and his results were normal except for his ALP/ALKP level which is 354 compared to 257 when he had his annual blood work done in January. The doctor said he should be tested again in a month to see if there's any change in the level.

He was prescribed Cerenia for the vomiting and Flagyl. I was also told to keep giving him the Pepcid.

He ate after we came back around noon and is resting quietly now.

I wanted to give you an update and thank you once again for your help last night.

Best wishes.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the update.

With those liver enzymes, I'd think about getting him on a liver protectant like SAMe (Denosyl) for 2-4 weeks. If no change, then I'd consider a bile acids test to check liver function or an ACTH stimulation test to rule out Cushing's (over active adrenal gland) that can cause increased ALKP.

I'm glad he's eating and hope for a speedy and full recovery.