Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

How accurate is an ultrasound to determine litter size of a

How accurate is an ultrasound to determine litter size of a chihuahua? My little girl Chi is scheduled for a c-section on Wed., April 7th. This is her first litter and she is 4-1/2 years old and weights 9.2 lbs.Two weeks ago, the U/S showed only one puppy. Could one be hiding behind it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Ultrasound is not very good at determining litter size. The puppies can hide behind each other. X-rays are better for this purpose. You can see the skeletons 45 days into pregnancy on an x-ray. I mainly recommend this to make sure that all the puppies in their have come out. If she is getting a C-section, that information is really not that important clinically speaking. It would be very difficult to miss on puppy with a C-section. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.