Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.

dog: blood and her back legs seem to move slower than her front legs

my dog has bladder cancer. she is dripping blood and her back legs seem to move slower than her front legs when she walk. The vet could feel the growth. She is weiner dog and chiwawa . He is pretty sure it is transitional. Is this a painful cancer and is it curable. Can you tell me what stage she may be in from her symptons.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 6 years ago.

If this is a transitional cell carcinoma and it is big enough for your vet to palpate then it is in an advanced stage. If it is this large it is not likely treatable surgically. Piroxicam is the best medication, but it is variable in it's effectiveness. It should help shrink the tumor some, but will not cure it. Average survival after diagnosis is 6 months, however it can be much more or much less. I would give her a 70% chance of getting better on the piroxicam. It will give her some quality of life, but not a cure.

I hope that answers your question, but if you have more questions please let me know.

Dr. Stacy

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is the bleeding normal with this
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 6 years ago.

You can have bleeding with TCC. Usually the bleeding is mostly when they urinate or when they strain to urinatate.

Dr. Stacy