Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario

can i give my dog childrens ibuprofen

can i give my dog children's ibuprofen

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer!

I would like to help you and Charley with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

How much does she weigh?

Is she shaking her head a lot and scratching at her ear?

Does Charley have any other health problems (like glaucoma or a stomach ulcer)?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She weighs about 65lbs. She is shaking her head a lot and scratching at her ear. She seems very agitated at it. It is red and bleeding a little from her scratching. I plan on taking her to the vet today but she is uncomfortable now. She has never had any health problems.

I'm so glad you asked before giving your dog this medication!

Unfortunately, ibuprofen is toxic to dogs at even fairly low doses. It can cause gastric ulcers and kidney failure, and is not used in veterinary medicine.

Here is more on ibuprofen toxicity:

From what you are describing, it sounds like Charley does indeed have an ear infection.

Ear infections (otitis externa) are quite common.

Otitis externa is commonly caused by yeast, bacteria or a combination of both.

There are commonly yeast and bacteria living in small numbers in the ears. If water gets into the ears from swimming, then the ear canal becomes moist and warm - just the kind of place that bacteria and yeast like to grow! As the bacterial and yeast numbers increase, the ear gets infected and ITCHY!

Quite often, the ear drops that I prescribe have a combination of:

- anti-fungals to treat the yeast,

- anti-biotics to treat the bacteria and

- anti-inflammatories to decrease the pain and inflammation.

The names of a couple of ear medications I commonly prescribe are Surolan and Otomax. It is very likely, from what you are describing that your girl needs some ear drops in order to treat this infection.

In order to keep Charley comfortable tonight until you can get in to see your vet, if she were my patient, I might advise you that you could give her some Benadryl (diphenhydramine). This should not be given to dogs with glaucoma.

This antihistamine can reduce the itching in the ears. It quite often causes drowsiness.

The dose that one generally gives is 1mg/lb.

It comes as 25 mg tablets, and as she is 65lbs, then her dose would be 2.5 tablets.

This can be repeated every 8 hours for 24-36h.

Here is more about Benadryl:

You should see improvement (less itching) within 30 minutes.

Here are some links about Otitis Externa that you might find useful:

If you are going to have to go out to the pharmacy, you could also see if they have

Burrow's Solution (Buro-sol, ).

In Canada, you can get Burrow's Solution over the counter at a pharmacy. I believe it is widely available in the USA as well. It is a gentle astringent that is very useful in treating ear infections.

Many veterinarians carry it, compounded with 2% hydrocortisone (for that you would need a prescription). But you could certainly try it tonight to give some relief. Instill 3-5 drops into both ears and massage it around. Let her shake it out, or wipe with a tissue (NOT a Q-tip).

Good luck with Charley. I hope this helps to keep her comfortable! And do see your vet when they open in order to get some ear drops for her.

If this has been helpful, please hit the green "Accept" button and leave feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will still be here to provide it!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.