Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.
19741892

My dog has round, red spots on her belly. The only other symptom

My dog has round, red spots on her belly. The only other symptom that I can really see is diahrreah. What could this be?
Hello there,

Are the spots raised or even with the skin?

Are the spots about a 1/2 cm in diameter?

Is the dog itchy?

Is the dog eating and drinking normally?

Are the lesions scaly or scabby?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The spots are even with the skin. They are about 1/2 to 1 inch in diameter. She seems a little itchy, she keeps licking them. She did not eat this morning, but did finish her dinner this afternoon. The lesions are not scaly. Also, I guess that I should mention that she has been with my family for only about 3 weeks so I am not sure of her history.
If the dog is itchy, it could be an allergic reaction or a superficial staph infection. Staph infection are usually redder around the outer ring of the lesion and a little scaly. If you scratch on, the dog will usually start kicking the back foot. Allergic reactions can look like hives. Punky bites usually occur when the dog lays in the grass, are bright red and usually the same size. Boxers are very susceptible to allergic reactions to insect bites. Oral Benadryl can be used at 1/2-1 mg per pound body weight every 8-12 hours as needed to rule out an allergic reaction. If the spots do not start to fade after a few doses, you may have a staph infection. Imodium AD can be used at 2 mg per 50 pounds body weight every 8 hours as needed for the diarrhea. If the dog starts to look in distress or panting excessively, the reaction could be getting more severe and an exam is warranted.