Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario

hello. i gave my dog his worm tablet yesterday from the vet

hello. i gave my dog his worm tablet yesterday from the vet after he has had his first vaccination.
he has passed some worms in the night are they were visible in his poo.
how long should this continue for?
should one does kill the worms?
he is only 9 weeks old pretty much.
am i right in saying that when they are passed they are dead?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 6 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer!

I would like to help you and Jessie with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

Do you know the name of the worm tablet prescribed by the vet?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

hi. it was shaped like an elipse. i think it began with e G. the vet only prescribed 1 tablet. she said he would need re-worming every two weeks up to 12 weeks of age then every 6 months i believe after that. it deffinately was not drontol!!!!

hello to you in France. Im from the north east of england in the UK.

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 6 years ago.
Hello Verina!

I hope the north east of England is enjoying as beautiful a day as is the south of France! It finally feels like spring is coming.... ahhh!

I am not sure what that dewormer would be, as it may not be the same shape as what I am familiar with in Canada, even if it is the same medication.

I totally agree with your vet though. I recommend deworming my patients every 2 weeks up to 12 weeks and then every 6 months after that. This new deworming protocol is based on the most current research and your vet sounds very up to date.

What you are describing with Jessie sounds like a roundworm infection. These are really common in puppies and very easily picked up.

Many pups get roundworms from their mothers before they are even born, or while nursing, but many pups will pick them up from stepping in other dogs' feces and then licking their paws clean or from eating mice.

The good news is that they are easy to get rid of!

We usually treat for roundworms with a medication that contains Pyrantel Pamoate. This is safe and effective against roundworms.

Treatment should be given as per the label, and repeated every 14 days to kill off any worms that are hatching out of eggs still in the intestines.

Here is more about roundworm infection:

And more about pyrantel pamoate:

As well as a link to help you find some:

Now, you asked if the worms are dead when they are passed... unfortunately, the answer is no. The dewormer stuns them and they "let go" of their grip on the intestines. As they are dying, they are passed. However, they can sometimes still be alive for a few minutes after they are passed.

I hope that helps you. If this has been helpful, please hit the green "Accept" button and leave feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will still be here!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

we purchased the puppy form a farm in stokesley near to where we live so he is a proper farm collie. the guy said that he had been wormed a week before we got him so we did not worm him last week as i felt it was too soon.

so between last thursday and yesterday there have been no signs of worms at all. no protruding anus, and there have been none in his poo. he was even sick in the car the other day and he never vomited any.

so what i am asking is should we get treatment for worms ourselves? what is chance that we are infected? i have a 4 year old you see.

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 6 years ago.
Ah, I do understand your concerns!

My children are now 5 and 7, and I can see why you are worried.

Here is a website that can help you to understand the risks to humans:

Most dogs do not have symptoms (diarrhea, etc) until they have a very heavy infestation.

Humans would become infected the same way the dog does, through fecal-oral contamination. So, the only way that your child would become infected would be if he or she stepped in or touched the dog's feces and then got the feces in his/her mouth.

If you think that this might have happened, you can talk to your pediatrician about a dewormer for your child.

I do hope that this helps!