Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 12 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

MY dog has swollen colon and intestines. She has been ill for

Customer Question

MY dog has swollen colon and intestines. She has been ill for the last 4 weeks she was vomiting blood and had dioreah. She has been given xrays and so on and been on antibiotics for around 5 weeks. She seems fine in herself and is always still hungry shes only been doing poo's every 3 days this last 1 week or so and each day she is vomiting but only a little. We have to take her to the vets again on Wed's when they are going to put a camera down to see if she has a bloackage. Hope you can help

CJ
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Douglas replied 4 years ago.

Hello CJ:

What is your question?

Awaiting your reply.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I want to know what causes and how can I prevent the swollen colon/intestines

Hello:

I have a couple of questions for you:

• What are you feeding her?
  • Are there any other pets in the household?

There are various causes for enteritis or swollen intestines. The cause could be one of the following - inflammatory bowel disease, bacterial or viral infection, food allergy, or lymphoma (a type of cancer).

When your vet does the endoscopy (camera) they should be able to take a biopsy and see exactly what the cause is and give you a prognosis.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well she normally eat dog biscuits a spanish brand because i live in spain. At the moment she's on canned diet food as prescribed by the vet. In the house there are no other pets however in our complex there are others dogs and cats

It's good that she is on a prescription diet for her condition.

Is she a nervous dog? Another cause for her signs could be stomach ulcers.

The endoscopy will be very valuable in determining the underlying cause. Hopefully, it will be due to inflammatory bowel disease which is manageable.

Hello CJ:

What did the endoscopy reveal? How is Moli doing?