Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.

My dog is in heat and her vulva is big and swallon, her inside

My dog is in heat and her vulva is big and swallon, her inside looks like it's coming out almost like a ball.. is this normal
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
Hello there,

How large is the tissue mass you are seeing?

Is the dog able to urinate correctly?

Is the dog licking the area?

What color is the tissue?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The ball is almost about the size of a golf ball, she is urinating normal, and afterwards she licks herself - the color on it is pink, and sometimes it has bits of red on it since is leaking.. her menstrual I'm assuming ..

She has been bleeding on and off not much for about 8 days now and about 4 days ago the ball was starting to show..

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
The swollen vulva is normal. If the protruding tissue is pink, you may be seeing an enlarged clitoris. It is not normal, but does occur. If the dog excessively licks it, it can get raw and infected. Dogs can also get a prolapsed vagina. When this occurs, the tissue will be very red, the dog will be in pain and it is an emergency situation. Here is picture of an extreme case:

If the tissue you are seeing looks anything like this, she should be examined to be sure you are just seeing an enlarged clitoris. If so, there will be no treatment needed.