Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario
7995545

My dog ate a Speed stick Deodorant while I was at work. Label

My dog ate a Speed stick Deodorant while I was at work. Label says call Poison Control Center if swallowed by a child. My dog already threw up 3 times, but seems fine.
What should I do?

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer!

I'm sorry you have had such a long wait to get a response to your question. I just logged on and saw your question and have replied immediately.

I would like to help you and your dog, Toby, with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

How many hours ago was it that Toby might have eaten this (for example, between 2 and 10 hours ago)?

Any diarrhea?

Is Toby on any medications? Does he have any medical problems that you are aware of?

Is the active ingredient
Aluminum Zirconium Tetrachlorohydrex Gly (15.5%)?

Fiona

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Toby suffers from allergies, so he takes Prednisone. I have no idea what time he ate the deodorant. Left to work at 8am and came at 7pm. When I got home, I noticed he had thrown up 2 times already. He did throw up one more time in the evening while I was home aprox. 4 hours ago. The ingredient you mentioned is on the deodorant. He has not had any bowel movement yet, so I don't know if he has diarrhea yet. He is acting normal...happy and seems hungry, but is sleeping now.
And what time is it where you are? It is 9am on Saturday for me...

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It's 1:09 am Saturday here.
Ok!

And did Toby eat any of the plastic container?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Nope.
PHEW!

And was there any blood in the vomitus, or anything that looked like coffee grounds or like chocolate?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No blood but it looked like light brown sugar powder with white pieces of the deodorant. At first I thought it was pieces of coton,but then realized it was pieces of the white deodorant. It was like grounded sugar because I was able just to sweep it away really easy.
Ok! That is helpful!

So, the good news is that antiperspirants and deodorants are not considered toxic in dogs.

The main concern is if the dog eats the plastic container as well, which Toby did not. So, that is great!

When dogs eat antiperspirants/deodorants, they get gastrointestinal upsets with vomiting and or diarrhea as a result. If Toby vomited all the deodorant up, then he may avoid the diarrhea.

If he is feeling unwell at the moment, there are some things you can do at home:

1. WITH-HOLD FOOD for 12 hours since he has been vomiting today. This gives the intestines a chance to rest and heal.

2. When he is fasting, he can have lots of clear fluids.

DO NOT START THESE UNTIL IT HAS BEEN 4 HOURS SINCE HE LAST VOMITED!

So, water is fine, but also he can have pedialyte, Gatorade, apple juice diluted 50:50 with water, or onion- free chicken or beef broth diluted 50:50 with water.

Give the fluids in small amounts frequently.

For a dog this size that means about 1/2 cup an hour.

3. After 12 hours, you can start your dog back on a bland diet.

For patients that I see, I recommend a mixture of 75% cooked white rice, and 25% low fat protein. For the protein you could use extra lean ground beef, boiled with the fat scooped off, or chicken breast boiled with fat scooped off or even scrambled egg cooked without fat in the microwave. Feed small frequent meals. For a dog this size, I would suggest 2 or 3 tablespoons every 3 to 4 hours.

4. After 1-2 days on the rice mix, you would gradually change Toby back to the normal dog food.

So, on day 3, give the rice mixture, but bigger meals, spaced further apart. On day 4, mix a little tiny bit of the normal food in there, and decrease the frequency so it is down to 3 meals or so. And so on.

5. Keep your dog as quiet as possible - just out to relieve himself and back in.

If Toby continues to vomit, develops blood in the stool, is lethargic or shows signs of abdominal pain, please contact a veterinarian promptly. Good luck with your boy!

If this has been helpful, please "Accept" my answer and provide feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will try to provide it!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Fiona