Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior

What, if any, are the long term effects of Parvo on dogs I

What, if any, are the long term effects of Parvo on dogs? I have read that they can lead an unhealthy life with a shortened lifespan.

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. Luckily parvo has no long term side effects. It might take a puppy that had parvo longer to get to full size due to the malnourishment that occurs during the infection but eventually everything should be fine and completely normal. If you have more questions please let me know.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have read on other sites that Parvo can have an effect on dogs. Such as leading a unhealthy life - more suseptible to disease and shortened lifespan. So, you're saying this is not true?
I don't think that is true at all. I have treated many parvo cases and have never seen that situation. They always do very well once recovered.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. I volunteer in a rural parish (south Louisiana) animal shelter and am experiencing my very first exposure to Parvo - it's nothing nice! IF we should have any survivors, I was concerned about adopting out these puppies. Rather than rely on information from those that I don't consider "experts" I choose to gather information on my own.

I'm glad to hear that these puppies should they beat this will live out life as healthy dogs.

Thank you.
You are welcome. I hope they all survive and end up in great homes. Good luck.