DVM Dave
DVM Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM with 18 years small animal medicine experience
24349828

Over the last week my dachshund has not been eating or drinking.

Over the last week my dachshund has not been eating or drinking. He just had a barium xray and is diagnosed with a blockage in his stomach. the vet said he needed surgery that will run me 750-900 dollars. I have already spent approxamately 4-$500.00 already and cant afford to get this bockage removed. The blockage seems to be fibers from him chewing his towels/ blankets we put in his crate. Do we have any other options for him being able to pass this blockage? DESPERATE, will he eventually die?

I am sorry but surgery sounds like the only option at this point. The fibers are non-digestible and will just set in his stomach. They tend to ball up and reach a size that make them impossible to pass thru his stomach. You also have the option of endoscopy to possible have it removed without actually have to cut into his stomach, but this would also run about the same cost. Yes, if it is not removed he would die from recurrent vomiting and dehydration.

Sorry for the bad news,

DVM Dave