Dr. C
Dr. C, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  30+ yrs of Veterinary experience: medicine, surgery, nutrition; 45+ yrs.companion animal owner

My dogs nose looks like it is rotting off. (16 y/o Maltese

Customer Question

My dogs nose looks like it is rotting off. (16 y/o Maltese Female) It comes off in hunks and the nasal holes are swollen with some mucus coming out. I have taken her to the vet and they gave her doxyc. and triamcinolone .1% and it isnt any better. She whistels when she breaths due to swelling. Any idea what I can do for her or what it could be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. C replied 6 years ago.

This sounds like planum nasale hyperkeratosis. Kerasolv was the product of choice but it is no longer on the market. Some people have had success with Corn Husker's Lotion, and others by applying straight propylene glycol to the affected area. A prescription product -douxo seborrhea spot on - is applied to the affected area once weekly. Your vet should be able to help you with this one. The former two you should be able to find in the local drug store.

I hope this is helpful. Please push ACCEPT and thanks!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Any chance it could be a fungul? Her left eye is red as well. I will go out and get what you mentioned and try it first. I just worry with the discharge.
Expert:  Dr. C replied 6 years ago.
The discharge usually indicates secondary infection. As for if it is fungus, it could be, but is not a common area. Your vet can culture it easily for fungus. Fungal infections don't tend to bulk up like the hyperkeratosis does.