Dr. C
Dr. C, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  30+ yrs of Veterinary experience: medicine, surgery, nutrition; 45+ yrs.companion animal owner

My Boston Terrier has been snorting or gasping for air a lot

My Boston Terrier has been snorting or gasping for air a lot lately. Is it allergy related? what is that from and is there anything we can do?

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions

Pet lover
Tammy Eccles

The change of seasons could be causing allergic symptoms. Benadryl is fine to give, but you need to give it on a regular basis to determine if it will help. Probably you won't notice any improvement for 24-48 hours. You can give one 25 mg capsule every 4-6 hours for antihistamine relief. If after you have done this over the weekend, and you see no difference, then it probably isn't going to help. I would consider seeing my vet on Monday if the gasping continues, as there are things other than allergies which can cause the symptoms you're describing. Some may require prescription medications.

I hope this is helpful. Please push ACCEPT and thanks!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was waiting as I understood your site gave me time to see if your advice worked or was satisfactory. He seems to be doing better today. Thank You!