Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery
20804272

HOw long can I give my 18lb dog benadryl for her allergies

HOw long can I give my 18lb dog benadryl for her allergies?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 7 years ago.

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

If Benadryl helps with the itching, then the Benadryl can be given life long, on an as needed basis. Another way to test for allergy is to do skin testing and then follow through with skin allergy sensitization injections, which can take years to get to the right response. Skin testing is usually done by board-certified veterinary dermatologist. You can find one here: www.acvd.org

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Is it true that I give my dog 1mg of benadryl per pound? also Is there anything else you would suggest I can do to help her. What should I do if it doesnt get any better? It has already been 3 day that i have given her benadryl. How many days in a row can i give this to her? Thank you for your advice

Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 7 years ago.

Yes. The dose of 1 mg per pound is good. Give every 8 to 12 hours.

Benadryl usually works within a few days. If you do not see any improvement, then you need to change anti-histamine, like going to Zyrtec. If Benadryl works, then you can continue using that every day for months to years. There is no harm in using Benadryl.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How many mg of Zyrtec can I give her? and do the same rules apply, 8-12hrs ect? There has been a good amount of improvement so far on the benadryl( swelling, itching, and reddness has done down) but right before it is time to give her the next dose it starts back up again. I have been giving it to her every 8 hrs. Should i increase the dose or decrease the time between each dose? Or would you suggest changing to Zyrtec?
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 7 years ago.

Zyrtec dose is 0.5 mg per pound. So half of Benadryl. To be given every 12 hours.

Since Benadryl is working, I would suggest to try giving it every 6 hours and see if that can control the itching gap.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dr. Lee,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! Your advice will be a big help.