Dr. Johnson
Dr. Johnson, Veterinarian
Experience:  Special interest: orthopedics, neurology
31062341

my dog ate methadone what will happen

my dog ate methadone what will happen
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Johnson replied 6 years ago.
How much methadone did your dog ingest?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
10mg pills but she ate 3 I think

If your dogs ate the pills within the last thirty minutes, I would immediately feed her 1 tsp per 10 pounds body weight of 3% hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting.

The dosage of methadone that we use in dogs is 0.2-0.3mg/kg bodyweight, so unless your dog weighs over 100 kg, she has had a large overdose. If you don't have hydrogen peroxide, or it doesn't induce vomiting (it doesn't work in all dogs), I would immediately take her to your nearest emergency vet for treatment.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
she weighs 45 pounds and she started breathing real slow
That is a side effect of the methadone. You need to get her to an emergency vet right away for treatment. That amount of methadone may be enough to kill her.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I already took her to vet and i have no money so they wont see her will she be in pain

I cannot say. The methadone depresses the respiratory drive, so she will not be getting enough oxygen. Explain the financial situation to them, or call vets from the phone book and find someone to treat her on a payment plan. I know this is a hard situation for you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
its very hard since im having to watch her die while i try to find a vet who actualy cares about the dog not how much $
I understand this is a very difficult situation. I hope you can read this question without having to click accept, I would rather the money go to helping your dog. I am sorry I do not have a home remedy for you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have to click not satisfied but thank you so much she just died.
I am so sorry for your loss. I am shocked that you could not get help, and I am sorry that there are vets out there who would not help you. I wish there was more I could do to help.