Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog ( Lhasa Apso ) is panting like crazy, shaking and following

My dog ( Lhasa Apso ) is panting like crazy, shaking and following me everywhere. He even tried to jump into the shower while I was in there. Never done this before. We have had him for 5 years. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 years ago.

The panting and shaking can be due to pain, stress or anxiety. This may be something that resolves on it's own if you give it enough time. There are no over the counter sedatives for dogs, but the one thing you could try is a dose of Benadryl as it has a side effect of sedation that may help here. The dose is 1 mg/lb every 8-12 hours as needed.

If his signs progress to vomiting, diarrhea, seizures or muscle tremors then I'd get him seen to make sure there's not something more serious going on.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

If this were your dog what would you do?

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 years ago.
With just panting and trembling, I'd probably wait it out and see if it resolves on it's own.

One other thing to look at is the gum color- if pink then great. If it looks more blue or pale, then I'd get to an ER vet.