Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years as a small animal veterinarian in a clinical practice and a skin and ear clinic
1348006

What can I do if my Dogs teeth are rotting

Customer Question

What can I do if my Dogs teeth are rotting?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Louis Gotthelf replied 4 years ago.
Dogs' teeth rot from a bacterial infection in the mouth. So here's what I recommend. FIrst, let your vet clean the teeth and extract all of the rotten teeth. Second, use an antibiotic called Clindamycion to try and clear up the infection in the bones that hold the teeth in place. That is where the infection is and it causes the cement that holds the teeth in place to dissolve. We use Clindamycin for 2 weeks and then we use it twice a day for 5 days each month to keep the numbers of bacteria in the mouth down.

There are many mouth rinses for dogs with bad teeth that contain chlorhexidine. That is a real good disinfectant for the surface bacteria. These oral rinses are used once a day.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Like everyone today funds are really low. Teeth cleaning on adverage is approxiamately how much? When the teeth are cleaned wonder if he loses his front teeth. One in the front fell out.
In my practice a teeth cleaning is around $150 with the anesthetic. We only know how loose the teeth are and if we can save them after a cleaning.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can the spray cleanings advertised help along with using the mouth wash
They all help, but you need to get rid of the infection under the gums first if you are going to save any of the remaining teeth.

The real problem with rotting teeth is that the infection goes ino the blood. The bacteria and toxins spread through the blood to the heart, the liver, and the kidneys. So severe dental disease can shorten lifespan and can cause many other chronic problems during the dog's lifetime. That's why it is important to get the infection cleared up. Then you can maintain the teeth at home.