Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.
19741892

My dog cant hold his urine. When hes laying down pee leaks

Customer Question

My dog can't hold his urine. When he's laying down pee leaks down his leg and he doesn't even notice
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
Hello there,

How long has this been going on?

Does it only happen when laying down?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It's been going on for the lesser of a month now and yes, it is only when he's laying down

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
Urine incontinence is not uncommon in middle-aged to older dogs. It is more common in females than males. The urine leaks because the sphincter in the bladder does not close when the dog is sleeping or relaxing. There is medication for dogs used to treat the problem. A urine sample is checked first to rule out infection, bladder stones, diabetes and kidney problems. If the urine is normal, Proin tablets are used for several weeks. The dog may need to b on and off long term, depending on severity of the problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So I need to take him in to be tested or can I find these tablets in a feed store?
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
The tablets are prescription only. A feed store won't have them.