How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.Fiona Your Own Question
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 6273
Experience:  Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr.Fiona is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog I believe ate some crystal meth...........she for the

This answer was rated:

My dog I believe ate some crystal meth...........she for the last several hours (8 hrs).....has had the following symptoms:

1. Cannot sit still.
2. Head moves back and forth rapidly and incessantly.
3. WILL NOT EAT unless force fed.
4. Various other muscle and what appears to be Central Nervous System twitches.

I have given her activated charcoal in the form of 2 pills diluted in water at a strength of 260mg each as I now this will absorb or neutralize the drug.

Her symptoms are markedly better but not significantly. What else or should I do?

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer!

I'm sorry you have had such a long wait to get a response to your question. I just logged on and saw your question and have replied immediately.

I would like to help you and little Tess with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

How much does she weigh?

How many hours ago did she ingest the crystal meth?

How much did she ingest?

How many minutes/hours after ingestion did you give the activated charcoal?


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
she weighs 8 lbs appx.

she ingested the meth appx 12 hours ago

not sure how much she ingested but it was definitely very miniscule..maybe some specs of it that fell on the floor.

i gave her the charcoal appx 3 hours after symptoms ensued.

She is finally acting fairly normal now....Her involuntary twitches have subsided and she is beginning to eat and drink on her own volition.

Thanks in advance....
I am happy to help!

Ok, you said you gave the charcoal 3 hrs after symptoms started. how many hours post-ingestion was that?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Appx 5 hrs


Thanks for the informationo - very helpful.

YOu have described to me a very small dog who ate crystal meth (amphetamine).

It's hard to know how much she got, but she is a very small dog, so even a tiny amount could cause toxicity.

At about 0.5 mg/kg, we expect to see mild signs of amphetamine toxicity (agitation, hyperactivity, rapid heart rate, panting, muscle tremours).

At doses of about 2-3 mg/kg more serious signs start to be seen.

A veterinarian can give acepromazine or chlorpromazine to counteract the effects. Also, a vet can give cyproheptadine (Periactin) orally or rectally dissolved in saline, which may be helpful. The cyproheptadine can be repeated every 4-6 hours as needed (to help with the extended release part).

You can probably buy cyproheptadine without a prescription at a local pharmacy. Here is more about it, including DOSE:

Symptoms usually start within 1-2 hours of ingestion.

Here is more about this toxicity:

If your dog is showing any of the above symptoms of agitation, hyperactivity, rapid heart rate, panting, muscle tremours, then I would strongly recommend that you take her to a veterinarian immediately for treatment!

I assume that you would have done this if you could have. Please be aware that vets do NOT have to report intoxications of this sort, they just treat the animals.

If you absolutely cannot get to a vet, then try to find cyproheptadine. Also, please really encourage your dog to drink as much as possible to flush her system.

At 8lbs, she is 3.6 kg, s I would like to see her drinking 2 tablespoons of fluids per hour.

There are a number of things you can do to increase fluid consumption.

You can mix a bit of food in with water to make a soup - that way your dog may be enticed to drink more.

You can make "hot-dog soup." To do this, take one hot dog and cut it into a dozen small pieces. Put them in 2 cups of water and bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Take off the heat, and allow to cool. Remove the hot dog pieces, and offer the dog the water.

I suggest opening a can of tuna *in water* and offering the liquid diluted with water 50:50.

Any clear fluids are fine to give - such as apple juice, gatorade, pedialyte. Dilute all of them 50:50 with water.

You could try Lactose Free milk (Lactaid is the Canadian brand ), diluted with water.

Offer some canned dog food, and mix it with water to make a gravy to pour over her dry food

Other things you can do to encourage a dog to drink are:

- offer water from a very wide flat bowl

- If she likes dripping water, leave a tap.

- Offer bottled water and see if she prefers it.

- Offer onion- free chicken broth or beef broth, diluted 50:50

- See if she likes water with an ice cube in it.

- See if she likes it out of a cup or pasta bowl.

- You could try getting some human baby food in meat flavours (check that there are no onions or garlic in the ingredients) and mix that with warm water and offer that as a "soup" for her to drink. Beech Nut makes a line of baby food that has nothing but meat (beef, chicken, turkey or veal) in it.

If you cannot find this, you could find another meat baby food - just read the label carefully to be sure there are no onions, onion powder, garlic, or garlic powder in it.

Cook a chicken breast and put it in the blender with enough water to turn it into baby-food consistency. Make it into a soup.

Encourage fluid consumption for the next 12 hours, and keep her in a warm and quiet environment. I do hope that she starts to feel better soon!


If you have found this helpful, please push the green "Accept" button and leave feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will try to provide it!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Best wishes, Fiona

Dr.Fiona and other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Veterinary Questions