FamilyPetDoctor, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery, including emergency medicine

what would cause my dogs nose to drip or run with clear liquid

what would cause my dogs nose to drip or run with clear liquid I believe is water He is a 9 yr oold Akita/Shepard, this is been going on for about 6 months. He doesn't siff the water in but will blow it out...If he is sleeping on his back he's fine. He healthy in everyother way. He's eatting, drinking fine and we walk from 1 to 5 miles 5 times a week. Help please1111
Submitted: 6 years ago via PetWave.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  FamilyPetDoctor replied 6 years ago.

Clear nasal discharge is typically allergic in nature. If there is color or opacity to it, then it may be an infection.

The reason why it doesn't drip out when he is on his back is that it will follow gravity and drip back into the back of his throat and he will swallow it.

You can try some Benedryl if you want. If he is over 50 pounds then you can give two 25 mg capsules....... every 12 hours. Try this for at least 2 -3 weeks.

I hope that this helps... if you have other questions, let me know.

Dr C