Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.

my dog is whimpering when I try to pick him up or when he tried

my dog is whimpering when I try to pick him up or when he tried to go up the stairs or jump on the couch. He is a 4 yr old cocker spaniel and has never done this before. It sounds like he is in pain but I did not see him fall or get hurt, it happened this evening. What do you suggest? What can I give him for the pain?
Hello there,

Is the abdomen tense?

Is the dog walking normally?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
By tense do you mean tight? It's hard to tell, I checked his stomach it seems nervous, he seems nervous, he is walking fine, he can't jump up on the couch like he did earlier today and he can't walk up the stairs. He cries when he tries.
A back injury is most likely. If the dog jumps off and on furniture, it is a very common injury. The disks in the spine can herniate and are very painful. Anal gland impaction or infection can also mimic back pain. The dog should be radiographed to find the specific cause for the pain. I would keep the dog confined tonight and have him examined first thing in the morning. I would not give anything for pain because the medication your vet will likely put the dog on cannot be mixed with over the counter pain meds. Your vet will give you something much stronger and it will likely be needed for several weeks. Abdominal issues are also painful, but the dogs usually look bloated and vomiting and diarrhea occur as well. The dogs will look more distressed than painful.