Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog smells yeasty and itches constantly. No fleas. What

My dog smells yeasty and itches constantly. No fleas. What could cause this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 years ago.

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is he licking his paws?

3- How is his skin; any abnormalities?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I've had him for 2 years (previous owner said he was itchy too), and he has always been itchy. But he has been losing fur from it and constantly itching for about 2 months now.

He is not licking his paws, just nibble itching side of body, back of back legs, tail, and itching back of ears with his back paws.

No skin abnomalities. He gets dandruffy after I brush him. Coat is very shiny, not oily though.

The last vet he went to said no fleas. Gave vetalog shot, helped for a week. Second vetalog shot helped for 2 weeks.

He smells like bread rising. Could this be a yeast problem or mites?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 years ago.

I don't believe this is a yeast problem or else you would be seeing active lesions on the skin. The smell is secondary to sebaceous gland activity with the skin's normal bacteria. This can be the result of either having hormonal problems (hypothyroidism) or allergies (environmental or food). I will recommend that you have him checked by your vet and get some blood work done and rule out hypothyroidism. In addition, do a food trial and change his diet to a hypoallergenic (does not cause allergies; hill's z/d) diet for at least 6 weeks; during this period do not feed anything else or the trial will not work. If after 4-6 weeks the itching stops then this is related to food allergies and he should stay on the z/d. If the itching does not stop, then he was either being fed something else or there is an environmental allergies. In the meantime, you can give Benadryl 1 mg per pound body weight every 8-12 hours. Bath him with an antiseborrheic shampoo; can buy online or petstore.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter