Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

my bull dog has raised bumps all over his body they lok like

Customer Question

my bull dog has raised bumps all over his body they lok like little welts under his fur. yesterday his eyes were swolen almost shut along with the welts. the swolen eyes went back to there normal size after i gave him some benadrly. my wife thinks that maybe he got in to a wasp nest or something of that sort. botXXXXX XXXXXne i cannot afford to take him to the vet till payday what else could i try. thank you matt boise, ID
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.
Hello Matt,
You NEED to get him into a vet.
Call around. Many vets are offering a free examination to "new" clients. Or, check the websites of the veterinary hospitals near where you live, often, you can find discount coupons on there sites.
You need the vet to administer a steroid injection or give you some oral steroids. That would be the most helpful to resolve the problem.

Benadryl is good, and here is some info to ensure you are dosing it properly. But, the best would be to get into the vet for the anti-inflammatory injection. Many reactions like this require both the antihistamine AND steroid to get it quickly and fully resolved.

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

Good Luck