Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.

my dogs eye popped out while playing with another larger dog,

my dog's eye popped out while playing with another larger dog, I can't find a vet anywhere that will see it until tommorrow, is there any thing I can do? The dog is a 2 yr. old Pekenese.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
Hello there,

Is the eye all the way out and hanging loose or just bulging out?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

bulging out but looks really red and seems to be swelling and getting more outside his socket

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
These are emergency situations. If the eye comes out of the socket, it can lead to permanent blindness. If you can't find an ER clinic in your area, you need to keep the eye moist with plain saline used for contact lenses or artificial tears as often as possible. I would continue searching for an ER hospital, even if you have to drive awhile to get to it. Most of these dogs are sedated, the eye is pushed back in and the eyelids are sutured shut for several weeks to give the eye a chance to heal. If the eye gets worse, you can't find a clinic and the dog is not in extreme pain, you can try to pull the eyelids closed and apply slight pressure to see if the eye will pop back in without sedation.