Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.
1- How long has this been going on?
2- Can you describe how is he walking?
3- Can you look at his gums and see if they are pink like yours or pale?
4- Is it possible for you to take a rectal temperature?
1- we think started today.
he normaly sleep in the garage and i was clening the garage and i found ortho bug-geta snail & slug killer like poison so im fraid he eat some.. could the be posible
2- he seems to be walking like old man. he taking a long time to get up ..like when you a flue and he slowly get up.
3-gums look pink
4- i dont know.. could a normal kids termometor ?
1- Yes, you can use a kids thermometer but make certain not to use on the kids :). To take a rectal temperature, lubricate the thermometer with ky jelly, vaseline, or soap and water. Insert in rectum about an inch and gently press up. Wait a minute or until it beeps. Then read the temperature.
2- What are the ingredients in the snail slug poison?
LOOKING FOR THERMOMETER ...
OTHER INGREDIENTS 98%
WHICH IS DOES NOT SHOW
Metaldehyde is a very potent GI irritant when ingested, it can cause severe abdominal pain and discomfort in addition it can lead to kidney, liver failure and even death. When inhale it can also cause significant lung irritation. I suspect your dog may be poison. I will recommend that you take him in to the nearest ER vet for supportive care as there is not antidote for metaldehyde. If you do not have access to an ER, give him Pepcid AC 0.25 mg per pound body weight every 8 hours. Offer half cup of milk to sooth his GI. Follow up with your day vet in the morning.
If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.