CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

Is ther a way to prevent anal glands from filling up and causing

Is ther a way to prevent anal glands from filling up and causing discomfort?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your post!

In general, these anal gland problems can be from several causes including a bacterial infection, or at times they can even have anal gland impaction or inflammation due to allergies.

Here is a link to an article on allergies in dogs, and one to anal gland issues in dogs:

Options to consider:

- Use a diet higher in fiber, such as the prescription diet, Hill's W/D

- Consider injection of the anal sacs themselves with a medication, Vetalog, to decrease inflammation

- If the problem is VERY severe, some dogs even need to have their anal sacs removed.

- the other possbile recommendation, although the W/D higher fiber food may be better, would be to consider a hypoallergenic diet if the W/D does not work such as Hill's Z/D or Purina HA

I hope this information helps!
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.