CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My dog has periodontal disease and I absolutely have no money

My dog has periodontal disease and I absolutely have no money to pay for the surgery. What else can I do. I know she is in pain because she keeps swiping at her mouth.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your post!

In a case such as this, there is also likely an infection with the teeth.

You may wish to ask your veterinarian for an antibiotic, specifically Clindamycin as this antibiotic is very good for dental infections.

Moreover, you can try to brush your dog's teeth at home. There are many products that you can purchase at the pet store, over the counter, you can use to brush the teeth as well as add to the water that she normally drinks to promote better dental health.

Finally - you can also consider consulting or trying to get an appointment at the local ASPCA or Humane Society as they can often offer care that is much lower than a local hospital for parents with financial concerns.

I hope this helps!

Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I need a prescription for Clyndamycin in most cases. Do you know anyplace I can buy it outright? Why does Clyndamycin require a prescription?

Unfortunately thus is an antibiotic - which is prescription only and needs to come from a veterinarian. The ASPCA can also prescribe this for you.