Dr. Kris
Dr. Kris, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal vet and I see mostly dogs and cats and an occasional exotic pet, pig and goat.

how do i get rid of my dogs hot spots

how do i get rid of my dogs hot spots
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kris replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomerbr />
I'm Dr. Kris.

Spot is going to need an oral antibiotic for at least 2 weeks. If he only has a few hot spots you need to shave the hair around each one. If they are in an area that your dog can reach to lick then you need to get him an e-collar from a pet store. Clean the wounds well with slightly soapy (antibacterial soap preferably) water and rinse it well too. Pat the area dry. Get some gauze (not cotton since pieces of it tends to get stuck in wounds) or a lint free cloth and clean the spots twice daily with peroxide. Apply neosporin or bacitracin twice daily too. Do this for 14 days.

If he a lot of hot spots you may need to give him a full body shave. The hair needs to be clipped so the spots can dry. You'll have to bathe him with Ketochlor every day for at least 1 week then every 3 days for 2 more weeks. This is a medicated shampoo that will help. It is available at your vet or online. You will have to dry him well after each bath and keep him in area that is clean and dry so the spots won't get dirt in them.

No matter what you choose to do he will need oral antibiotics to help treat the infection. Also, you need to try to find the cause of the hot spots. They usually result from localised bacterial infections from trauma caused by itching. Allergies to fleas, food and environmental allergens are common causes. If he isn't on a monthly flea preventative start him on one. You can speak to your vet about getting him tested for allergies or you can do a food trial with a hypoallergenic food for 8 weeks.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need to know more.
Dr. Kris, Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal vet and I see mostly dogs and cats and an occasional exotic pet, pig and goat.
Expert:  Dr. Kris replied 4 years ago.
I'm signing off for the night but if you have more questions I'll answer them when I sign on tomorrow.