Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 12 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog falls over, gets the shakes or tremors, is losing his

My dog falls over, gets the shakes or tremors, is losing his appetite and getting weaker by the day. The vet did blood work and a spinal x-ray.
No kidney or diabetes in blood work. He has been on Doxycycline 100 mg....35ml 2x a day for 14 days and prednisone 5 Mg varing dose for three weeks...only getting worse..
Onnie XXX-XXX-XXXX
Submitted: 4 years ago via lowchenaustralia.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Does your vet believe these are seizures that she is having. Does she have any heart problems that you know of?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She doesn't know.It is not like a seisure. It is almost constant now. The Vet said it may be related to a brain lesion, but I cannot afford an MRI or Brain scan. Two times in the last 2 months, I have come home and she was jumping all over me like her old self and the next day, right back to the staggers and falling over. The only other thing I noticed is her thirst, but we checked for diabetes and kidney problems...Onnie
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the information. Seizures can vary in their presentation. It can be anything from a mild tremor in one limb to a full blown grand mal siezure with whole body shaking, non-responsiveness and loss of bowels. I would be highly suspicious of a seizure here in this case. If you have a video recorder, I would try and keep it handy. If this episode happens again, try and get it on video to show your veterinarian. They may be able to get a better idea of the type of activity she is having. To be honest, my first thoughts from your description were either a brain tumor or an infectious/inflammatory lesion around the brain (meningoencephalitis). An MRI and spinal tap would most likely be the next step in getting a diagnosis. Doxycycline and prednisone would be the first drugs I would reach for as well. Increasing the prednisone may help. I would at least have her on a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight twice a day to start with. If she is on a lower dose, you can talk to your vet about increasing it. I would stay on the doxycycline for at least 4 weeks. I may also consider adding Baytril to the drug regime because it has a little more broad spectrum antibacterial activity. The only other potential cause of these episodes may be heart problems causing syncopal episodes (fainting). Your vet may need to check the heart out more if they haven't already. I would also ask them if they have ruled out Cushing's disease as a source of the increased drinking and urination. It could also be diabetes insipidus (not the same as diabetes mellitus or "sugar" diabetes) if this is a problem happenign in the brain. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Could it be Vestibular disorder? All the symptoms are there....Onnie
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 years ago.
Vestibular disorder usually takes days to get better. It doesn't usually come and go easily. You will usually see the eyes go back or forth or up and down very fast (nystagmus) with vestibular disease. Unless you are seeing these signs, I doubt it is vestibular disease you are seeing. Hope this helps.
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience: Over 12 years of clinical veterinary experience