Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

I have noticed a small bump on the outside of my dogs eyelid,

I have noticed a small bump on the outside of my dog's eyelid, just below the eye. It is somewhat soft, not rock hard. It is pink in the middle and darker brown/black around the outside edge. I have just noticed this grow. It does not appear to bother him but it does concern me. He is a cocker spaniel hound mix I adopted about 2 years ago. Is this something I should be concerned with a rush him to seek care? Thanks.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 years ago.
Hi rosearered018,
Welcome to Just Answer. Is the small bump on the eye lid edge like the on this dog? It doesn't have to be on the upper eyelid in particular. Is he keeping the eye open ok?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Your talking about the bump in the picture on the right side of the dog's eye up top correct?

If so, it is shaped like that but it is darker in color and it isn't on the eyelid directly it is actually underneath the eye admist the furr under the eye. Yes, he is keeping the eye open okay.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 years ago.
How far below the eye is it? How big is it? Dime sized? Quarter sized?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is on the far outer edge of the bottom eyelid, just barely off the eyelid and it is like 1/8 of an inch in diameter.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 years ago.
This sounds like a meibomian gland tumor. This is a growth of a gland associated with the eyelid. These things are usually pretty benign in nature. That is they don't spread to cause the "illness" that most people think of with tumors. They usually grow very slowly. I would say it isn't something to rush into your vet for. I would have it evaluated here in the next couple days to make sure it isn't something else.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you Dr. Bruce. This is my first time using this system and I appreciate you asking several questions to confirm the dx. I know it must be extremely difficult to diagnose pets without seeing them in person. I work for a rheumatologist and it is very difficult to dx patient's pain without them being seen in clinic. I appreciate your concern for Wiggles and I will get him into the vet to get it evaluated and removed. Thank you sir and have a great night. Will return to you if Wiggles has any more issues. :)