Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.
19741892

My yorkie-poo occasionally has some kind of spasm. Normally

My yorkie-poo occasionally has some kind of spasm. Normally is starts in his front leg then spreads to his whole body. He seems to be awake and aware of this when it happens. If I'm in the room he will seek me out for comfort. I normally just hold him and talk soothingly to him to get him to relax. It normally passes after about a minute. What could this be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
Hello there,

How often does it occur?

How long has this been going on?

Is the dog able to walk when it happens?

Were any blood tests done?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I't varies sometimes I notice it a couple times a week and other times it may be a month or longer. Offcourse he may be having them and I'm not around to see them.

It's been going on for 5 years.

At the beginning he can walk, because if I'm in the room he comes to me. Eventually hes not able to walk and will stubble and fall. Seems like a severe muscle spasm.

No blood tests were done.

I've wondered if it could be associated with a near death he had at the vet when he recieved the Heartworm vacination. He collapsed and went in to shock. Fortunately I was still at the vet and they gave him ephineferin IV for his reaction. About a week later all the hair fell out at the injection site, about the size of a grape fruit.

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
The heartworm reaction will not result in permanent problems. The dog is likely has epilepsy. It is very common in dogs and is inherited in most cases. If he is still alert, you are seeing petit mal seizures. They can look like anything in dogs. Staring at the wall for 10 seconds is a type of seizure. Bloods tests are done to rule out a liver or kidney problem. Blood tests in most epileptics are normal. Medication is used for prevention when the episodes occur more than once a month or become more severe. Phenobarbital is used most often. It is not expensive but is needed long term. Given the time frame, epilepsy is by far most likely. Heart disease, liver and kidney disease, toxin ingestion, neuromuscular disorders and brain tumors are all possible. Most causes other than epilepsy get worse very fast and other signs are seen as well.