Dr. Larson
Dr. Larson, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Active in private practice since 2000. Both large and small animal practice for throughout career.
22517207

My dog just ate almost 90 pills of folic acid (600mcg each)

My dog just ate almost 90 pills of folic acid (600mcg each) (50mcg of vitamin B) and 137 mg of fish oil. She is a 78 lb Weim. Do I need to take her in?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Larson replied 6 years ago.
There is no need to rush her to an emergency clinic. Try giving her a tablespoon of Hydrogen Peroxide by mouth. This should cause vomiting within about 10 minutes. If she does not vomit, repeat the peroxide. After the second dose, she should have vomited most of the pills. At this point, there should be little left in her stomach to absorb.

I hope this is helpful, and good luck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, I tried two doses, I got about 1/2 TBS in her each time. She does not appear to be vomitting, but is eating a bunch of grass.
You can repeat the hydrogen peroxide a couple more times if you're only getting half down each time. For the most part, what she ingested will cause some digestive upset, and she will most likely not sleep well tonight, but there shouldn't be any real health risks. However, it's always best to get as much out as you can.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It worked! Vomit everywhere. Now just trying to keep her from eating it. (gross!).

Thanks for your help.

You're very welcome, I hope she gets to feeling better soon.