BestFriendsVet
BestFriendsVet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  In small animal practice since 2003
24117175

I just watched my dog struggling to poop. She seemed constapated.

Customer Question

I just watched my dog struggling to poop. She seemed constapated. She had was seemed like brown thread in her poop, and a decent amount of it. It was hard for her to get out and she was bouncin around in frustration trying to get it out of her. She has been sleeping ALOT and hasn't eaten. I'm worried. What do you suggest?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  BestFriendsVet replied 6 years ago.
Hi! You can try giving her a couple teaspoons of mineral oil, as a mild laxative. Give her a warm, quiet, comfortable place to sleep and take her outside occasionally to see if she has to defecate. Then, reevaluate the situation in the morning. If she continues to deteriorate (ie. won't eat, becomes more lethargic, starts vomiting, is painful when you press on her belly, can't get up and stand, cries out in pain, starts breathing rapidly as if in pain, or has pale gums as opposed to pink), then she needs to be seen by her vet ASAP. There could be a risk of a foreign body impaction. Please let me know what questions you still have. Or, if you are satisfied with my answer, please click the green "accept" button. Thanks for asking and good luck~