Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

What is the correct dosage of Lorazepam for dogs?

How do you dose Lorazepam in dogs?

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 years ago.

I have to tell you that before you use any drug on your dog or before you change the dose level of any prescribed drug your dog is on, you should consult your veterinary surgeon.

Ativan (lorazepam) belongs to the same class of drugs as Valium and in the human is indicated for the management of anxiety disorders. It is not available as a veterinary product but is used successfully in the dog "off Label " by some vets for much the same reason it would be used in a person.

A typical dose rate would be 0.5 mg of the drug for every kg of your dogs bodyweight.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

This seems like a very high dose. My dog weighs about 10 kg translating to a 5 mg dose. Humans typically use 0.5 to 2 mg. Are you sure? I would believe more like 0.05 mg per kg.

Hello again,

This drug is used off label by some vets and the dose rate to some extent would be at their discretion depending on what you wanted to use the drug for and their previous experience with the drug.

For the treatment of anxieties, a dose rate of 0.1 mg/kg orally twice a day might be used by some vets. Where you wanted to achieve deep sedation, a higher dose of up to 0.5 mg/kg might be used by some vets. Sorry about the confusion I should have made this clear in my first answer.