Dr. Jamie
Dr. Jamie, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 9 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.

hey my boxer dog is pregnant what are the signs that she is

hey my boxer dog is pregnant what are the signs that she is in labor?

So far she is panting , dripping and is laying down all day does this mean that she is in labor?

thank you kyla
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jamie replied 4 years ago.
Good evening,

I have a few questions for you:
1. How far along is she?
2. When you say dripping, do you mean vaginal discharge or milk?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I dont no how far along she is . She has vaginal disharge and is also dripping milk from her nipples she seems to be quiet which is not her and is angry at our male boxer. Do you think that she is in labor? and what are the signs

thank you kyla

Expert:  Dr. Jamie replied 4 years ago.

Yes, she could be in labor.During the first stage, uterine contractions begin. The bitch will appear very restless and may pace, dig, shiver, pant, or even vomit. This is all normal. You could also check her temperature. When her temperature drops below 100F (normal canine temperature is 101F-102F), labor may be expected within 24 hours.

The second stage is the hard labor stage in which the puppy is expelled. The third stage refers to the expulsion of the placenta and afterbirth. Each pup may not be followed by afterbirth; the mother may pass two pups and then two placentas. This is normal.

Puppies are born covered in membranes that must be cleaned away or the pup will suffocate. The mother will bite and lick the membranes away. Allow her a minute or two after birth to do this; if she does not do it, then you must clean the pup for her. Simply remove the slippery covering and rub the puppy with a clean towel. The umbilical cord may be tied in a knot about one inch from the pup and cut with scissors on the far side of the knot.

Expect one pup every 45 to 60 minutes with 10 to 30 minutes of hard straining. It is normal for bitches to take a rest partway through delivery, and she may not strain at all for up to 4 hours between pups. If she is seen straining hard for over an hour, or if she takes longer than a 4-hour break, consult a veterinarian.

Expect some puppies (probably half of them) to be born tail first. This is not abnormal for dogs. You should seek veterinary help if:

• 30 to 60 minutes of strong contractions occur with no puppy being produced.
  • Greater than four hours pass between pups and you know there are more inside.
  • She is in obvious extreme pain.

Normal vaginal discharge after parturition should be odorless and may be green, dark red-brown or bloody and may persist in small amounts for up to 8 weeks.

I hope this answers your question!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you very much this for answering my questions this is very helpful the vaginal discharge is green that she is having aswell
Expert:  Dr. Jamie replied 4 years ago.
Your welcome!
Please don't forget to press the "Accept" button, to close out this question.

Good luck with your up coming new puppies!
Dr. Jamie, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Over 9 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.